The Advantage of Armour
An Amazing Fact: Experts aren’t sure who originally owned the mysterious Lion Armour made around 1550 and housed at the Royal Armouries in Leeds, England. Embellished with lion heads on the helmet, chest, shoulders, arms, and legs, and covered with intricate designs and gold details, the armour is spectacular in appearance. There are multiple sword marks on the helmet, showing that it was put to use in a tournament, a duel, or perhaps in battle.
Armour can mean the difference between success and failure, and even between life and death. Did you know that God has designed armour especially for you? But just what is this armour of God, and what can it do for you?
Well, it all involves the long-standing conflict between good and evil, between Christ and Satan, who both want to win our hearts and minds. Whether we like it or not, we’re all involved in this battle. The Bible describes it this way: “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12).
God wants to bless us with victory in every aspect of our spiritual lives by giving us His perfect armor. But note that, for success in combat, it’s important that we put on the whole armour of God. Here’s a quick look at the components of this armour and what each piece accomplishes:
1. The Belt of Truth. God wants us to wear His truth and have it wrapped securely around us at all times. This truth is found in His Word, the Bible, and will keep us on the right path.
2. The Breastplate of Righteousness. Knowing that we are covered by Christ’s righteousness and that we are forgiven gives us confidence to stand firm and win the spiritual battles that we face.
3. The Shield of Faith. Our first defense against the attacks and fiery darts of the enemy is our faith in the blood of Jesus Christ. We can resist any temptation through faith in His name.
4. The Helmet of Salvation. This is the assurance that God has justified us, is working daily in our lives to sanctify us, and that He will ultimately complete His work of salvation in us by taking us to live with Him forever. This helmet fends off discouragement and gives us hope.
5. Gospel Shoes. Walking in the way of the gospel of peace and sharing the gospel with others will strengthen us against the attacks of the enemy.
6. The Sword of the Spirit. This represents the Word of God, and it can be used in either defensive or offensive action. According to Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” This sword can defend us when we’re tempted, keep us from making wrong decisions, and help us to make the choices in our lives that have positive eternal consequences.